The sculpture by Robert Tropschug was created in 2021 during our wood sculptor symposium as part of the project “With Open Eyes and Arms” as part of the theme year 1700 Years of Jewish Life in Germany and 900 Years of Jewish Life in Thuringia.
In 1929 the new synagogue was ceremoniously opened in Schmalkalden. According to the plans of the architect Walter Peter, the existing structure of the old synagogue was given an ornate and representative entrance portal. Many local craftsmen were involved in the renovation and were quite proud of their joint work. In 1938 the synagogue was destroyed in the night of the pogrom.
The sculpture shows the door and the ornate windows of the portal of the synagogue of Schmalkalden. Its characteristic shape is intended to serve as a memorial to the destroyed building and the extinction of the Jewish community of Schmalkalden.